I made an example for the kids' next homework assignment and was then told to take it down since they would probably just copy mine even where it says "Peace Corps," they would put Peace Corps in their own.
It's often the cases where I'll have 1 or 3 or so HWs turned into me with texts from completely non relevant materials - as if somehow I wouldn't notice what they were saying. I confronted one class about this said, "what do you think my FIRST language was?" All them talk or will grow up to speak at least 3 languages. They all reply: "English, Ma Suzanna!" I say, "right! So not more NONSENSE (I write it on the board) or copying from books or handout. I will know instantly and you will get a BIG FAAAAAT ZERO!" Making a big "0" sign with my hands. "Yes teachaaa!" They say back.
I also received a big package of materials from Soul Buddyz an afterschool club held in many elementary and high school across the country to empower and educate children about safety, public health, community service, environment, communication, and government. It's really a fabulous set up and it's FREE to join and they send you all sorts of fun materials like posters and hats and the kids love it! It's funded by BP, UKAID, South African Department of Health, the CDC, and USAID-PEPFAR, telephone companies and other parties I'm sure! It's like a FREE. Already prepared grants that shows up signed, sealed, and delivered to your door - EASY!!
But my goal is just to be a part of it as one of the club facilitators and watch to see how it can keep running allllll year. At the beginning of the year there's no club since "they haven't received the materials yet" and then in the end of the year they "tooo much busy marking" to run the program though school ends at 2:20 PM every days with about 4 more hours of sunlight to take advantage. ALSO - it is my goal to get more BOYS involved, only girls want to be involved in school events and they boys are the ones rampantly falling begin in school. They too need empowerment and father figures.
So we'll see what I can do :) HOW MANY MORE DAYS TILL VACATION???!!?
No comments:
Post a Comment