Friday, March 2, 2012

1st leg chafe...must be that PC 15 coming on

With the summer heat still hot as ever my works have diminished to short stints of close to the real 104-degree room temperature and short runs where I can manage to get in a short 25 minute run just as the weather becomes bareable and will get me home in time before it becomes too dangerous in the dark village streets.

I had heard about how all girls in Peace Corps become plump or girl who showed up plump become slimmed down....and then the men ALL lose weight. I honestly can't say if I've gained or lost. Most of my clothes all hang off me but I assumed that was due to my lack of a drier to "shrink" them back to their normal size. BUT...either way I felt my thighs chafe for the 1st time running today, a BAD sign.

Plan of action: stop eating village food and buy a mini fridge and start cooking for myself. I've been lucky to have a fabulous host mom who loves to cook extra for me and the mother-less neighbor, Tirelo (who comes over and serves as the "son" and my "puppy" and eats all my leftovers and bones). It's just that the honeymoon has ended and I need my health back I think. It's no surprise to me how Diabetes and High Blood Pressure become such problems here, the food is good, but very nutriously deficient.

In the last week and a half - think I maybe have eaten 1 fresh vegetable serving which was at a Peace Corps catered lunch and dinner. And I eat 1 fruit a day with my lunch, while all the rest of my diet consists of carbs more carbs and PEANUT BUTTER (a PCVs survival food item).

The plan is to buy a mini-fridge this weekend and have my principal deliver it to me next week given I have no car and everyone in my shopping town charges 6% of the total cost to deliver. Can't wait for fresh veggies and more fruit!!!

But...need to jump into my bucket bath in time for Generations! The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment