It’s films like this that make me want to become an immigration lawyer.
Being a year in country now, I am constantly thinking about the next step 11 months down the line. I ruled out grad school since applying from over here and studying for GREs and GMATs etc. seemed almost impossible. I think about going back to New York and maybe go HIV/AIDS outreach work in say the south Bronx or Harlem.
I think about getting another job in international development and seeing what happens. I wish I could stay here in South Africa and head to Cape Town to work for a NGO doing some aspect of public health work. To work on the other side of project management "in the field" is something that Peace Corps doesn't truly give you. I miss the ability to be in a job and actually know what my role is at that organization and know what my exact responsibilities are, and to have things turn about the way you expect them and in a timely manner.
I miss my families in Peru and the USA. I think about my documents that still stay held up with a lawyer in Lima trying to reclaim mi cuidania peruana with the wish that I will be able to work for my country of birth which I know needs my help. I received this message from my the last half sister of mine in Peru who I have to meet:
“hola!! no me voy a quedar con las ganas de decirte esto...dejame decirte q te admiro mucho por el buen corazon q tienes lo demuestra tu mirada y se q ayudas a mucha gente , papá Severo tambien me a hablado de ti, ojala puedas vivir aca en Peru ya q gente como tu se necesita bastante aqui.bye b”
What I get caught up on is the last part of her message. “I hope that you can sometime live in Peru since there are people here like you that need you a lot.” I think about this and just wish that Peace Corps had just placed me in Peru. And then I think to myself that I should have just dedicated my time to Peru. I could have just dedicated 2 years to my nephews school in San Juan de Lurigancho, helping the kids there who need me just as much as the kids here do. I feel bad for not going there and helping people. Maybe that is the next stop, but at least not while I don’t have my citizenship still up in the air.
There are just so many people out there who need your help, it gets hard to pick where you should be fighting your battle. If you're passionate about helping others where do you go?
No comments:
Post a Comment