I see so much of her in our friends and myself. We shared such a love for understanding science and health. If anyone has even accompanied me to the gym you know that I don't leave till I've hit a good drenched sweat, Chel was just the same. I remember her even mentioning to me in the Y one time that she loved to shower before she came to the gym since she loved how her hair felt after a workout. She made me smile.
I just finished this book called, Origins: How the nine months before birth shape the rest of our lives by Annie Murphy Paul, sooooo interesting, and such a Chel-book. To add to the fire, I've found myself entrenched these last few days in a South African HIV/AIDS Care & Counseling book, casting aside for the moment my copy of Great Expectations - once again so Chel.
Then it was today as I was unloaded at the "Tribal Office Sign" with my Sunday groceries from the Kombi (or taxi) which I had caught from town, I began to really think about Chelsea now given the time to walk home alone back to where my house sits off the main road. On the way I began to wonder how Chelsea would have enjoyed an experience like this and how much I wished she was here to share her company with me. It made me sad. As I turned the corner for the final stretch home, unexpectedly “Somewhere Over the Rainbow…” hauntingly streamed out someone’s window and then the tears simultaneously began to stream out my eyes. Her spirit felt so present as the hot afternoon breeze brushed by me and the music played on.
I think day by day, week by week, year by year, we are all fulfilling some dream of Chelsea’s. Growing up together we all influenced on one another and shared so much of each other even though we may not have realized it, thus in essence we are little pieces of Chel’s humor, charisma, boldness, and strength. Wherever she may be, the next time I see a rainbow here, I will look out at it and I will for certain be thinking of Chelsea.
To Karen and Ruben: much love from Africa, I’ll be thinking of you both. Next time I make it back home, I’ll be sure to catch up with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment