Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Magwinya! The perfect birthday gift :)

At 10:10 AM the bell will sound at Robanyane Toto for break time, this is also lunch time for the learners. I am friends with an SBG member who comes daily with her snacks for the kids to come buy. I have totally fallen for one goodie called Magwinya or Fat Cakes. It's sort of like fried doug but it has a bit more flavor in it making it savory and just fine to be eaten by itself.

This treat would probably explain the comment I got when I was introduced to my friend's mom who instantly said, "Fifi you are FAT...and you look EXPENSIVE!" I smiled and just said, "ke a leboga," trying to not look offended. Moving on from that comment, I think us Americans dwell too much on the worry of being fat, though I'm sure she meant it in a healthy way. I should have said "Ke a leboga to Stoney (best gingerale ever!) and Fat cakes" which make a dueling team for my (possible) growing Buddha Belly and are the motivator of my long runs under the hot African sun.

No doubt I will be treated by Kentsenoa (or myself) to this goodie today on my birthday (I'm getting so old- how did that happen). My host mom called me at just 6 AM (before my alarm even went off) to sing me happy birthday AND my phone has been buzzing ALLLLL night. Thanks guys for the love :) today will be great!

Kentsenoa told me that before I leave here she will teach me how to cook them - can't wait! Watch out America...God's gift to Man and cellulite may be invading when I return!

No comments:

Post a Comment