I'll have to do a longer post on this in the future, but one of the largest businesses here in South Africa is the selling of Funeral Insurance.
It only starts at R 19/month, which right now it slightly more than $2 USD. Most packages you see advertised on TV cover enough to cover the coffin, embalming of the body, fees for services, and the huge meal people get at the end. We've had people show up at my school selling these packages to the teachers.
This guy recently showed up saying, "don't you want to have the reassurance that your families will be covered, since anything could happen." AND and then the clutch of the sales pitch was "don't you want to protect your children if they were to suddenly die of AIDS?" The sales man then asked the teachers, who stood in the staff room at their 10AM lunch-break, "Who from a show of hands has had a love one be taken away from us by this Disease?" Everyone raised a hand.
The sales men then thanked the teachers for their time and then passed out the incentive for them coming to the meeting at all....a big bucket of fried chicken (KFC of course). The oddest thing. It was as if he were dishing out bait to fatten up and weaken his victim. Did someone say ATHEROSCLEROLSIS??
There I sat typing up something I needed for class listening in on this sales pitch and then watched this man dish out the greasy KFC and just rolled my eyes...the 2 things that are single-handedly bringing down South Africa: KFC and AIDS.
Hence the need for all the advertisement for all these funeral packages. I have never seen in my life such a market for this. My host family members each has their own account which they will go into town once a month to pay the fee.
So here I stand in line at the Shoprite in Kuruman and there you have (picture above) funeral insurance in a box, a starter pack. Sad :( that I even have to be looking at this.
No comments:
Post a Comment