Monday, May 14, 2012

The BEST infants choir

So my choir practiced and all the early morning practices for the last few months paid off since the infants choir at my school won #1 in the regional competition last week.

I came into the school the morning of the competition and found one classroom of 60+ kids throwing off clothing in every different direction and running around in their underwear. Some were polishing their shoes and others were having their hair combed. We pinned on the ribbons we had made the day before and they all looked precious (or as they would say here "sharp").

We then waited another 2 hours or so for the buses to show up to take the kids to the coloured township just outside my shopping town. The buses never came so we took taxis. As soon as we arrived we lined up the kids in their formation and raced them on stage. I conducted them in "Deck the Halls" in front of a crowd of about 300 people.

I went home after the performances and heard that the kids were at the town hall till 7 PM waiting for the results. I was just getting out of my bucket bath before going to watch Generations when I heard the honking of a car horn. Over and over it honked outside getting closer and closer. And then I heard the "traditional" hooting and hollering Tswana women do to welcome someone important, at say, a retiring ceremony or wedding or at church. I hear also "Fifi o kae??!!" And then my door bursts open and it's Masego and Ma Chabaemang yelling that our infant choir won #1!! They picked me up and yelled over and over "God bless America!!"

It was very funny! And exciting for me and the kids who had never won this title of best choir in our district. I know this is just small in the long run of my service here in South Africa but it's events like this that build empowerment and pride. It demonstrates that with work and commitment as a group we can achieve and we all can move forward and win. But you must believe in yourself. I gave these children and the teachers hope and that is such a blessing and an accomplishment and warms my heart.

Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment