Wednesday, November 23, 2011

1 week countdown till WORLD AIDS DAY, but first a goodbye

Above is a Grade R (Kindergarten) learner who just celebrated his graduation just weeks ago. We had an emergency staff meeting where his passing was mentioned to all of us, some teachers burst into tears. 5 Years old....wow. I think of all the U.N. Millennium Goals, one being to work on lowering infantile death rates in developing countries. He is the second learner in my just under 3 months at the school to pass away from the "sickness." People here often disclose the cause of death with the fear of being stigmatized by the rest of the community. This little one is remember, may he rest in peace.

Today we made 450+ red ribbons. We still need 300 more. I asked these girls if the school had done anything the year before, their answer: "Nyaa mma."

So this year I am determined to do something. I have so many ideas. Maybe my "Sad Mandy" play, drawing activities, bring in the home-based care groups to do a talk, lessons on myths on HIV/AIDS, a condom demos... the list goes on.

I'm so excited to do something for Worlds AIDS Day on December 1st here in South Africa a country that has fought for help on battling this disease back in the 1990s in its fight for affordable ARVs and access to services. I want to raise awareness to the children and make them realize the dangers and reality of this disease and that fortunately it is no longer a death sentence and we all need to provide support to the HIV/AIDS community and not stigmatize them and let them know their presence to us is valued too.

I recommend this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/health/unaids-says-new-worldwide-infections-have-hit-a-plateau.html

No comments:

Post a Comment